Makes 12 servings.
2 medium avocados, chopped
1 medium tomato, chopped
2 tablespoons red onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tablespoon cilantro, finely chopped
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1/4 teaspoon salt
Sprinkle of paprika
1/2 jalapeño pepper, minced (optional)
- Hard-boil eggs by placing eggs in an even layer in large pot covered by 2 inches of cold water. Heat pan on high and bring to rolling boil. Immediately turn off heat, cover pot with lid and let eggs sit on hot burner for 10 minutes.
- Transfer eggs to bowl of ice water to cool; peel eggs.
- Slice eggs lengthwise and scoop out yolks; place yolks in large mixing bowl.
- Add avocados to yolks and mash with fork until completely mixed.
- Add remaining ingredients, except paprika. Stir to combine.
- Carefully scoop about 1 tablespoon of mixture into each egg-white half.
- Sprinkle with paprika to garnish.
- Top with jalapeño, if using.
Eggs take longer to cook at higher elevations. Fresh eggs are more difficult to peel; to make it easy (and end up with a smooth, perfectly peeled egg), buy your eggs 1 to 2 weeks before you plan to make this recipe, if possible.
Serving size: 2 egg halves. Amount per serving: 130 calories, 10g total fat, 185mg cholesterol, 4g carbohydrates, 7g protein, 2g dietary fiber, 120mg sodium.
Source: American Institute for Cancer Research