Makes 6 servings.
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
1/8 teaspoon ground pepper, preferably white
2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
7 to 8 cups medium cauliflower florets (from a 2¼- to 2½-pound cauliflower head)
1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce, no salt added
2 tablespoons tomato paste
2 teaspoons raw sugar
2 teaspoons white distilled vinegar
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine cumin, coriander, cardamom, ground pepper and 1 tablespoon oil. Add cauliflower and, with your hands, toss and rub to coat florets, 1 minute.
- Line 11-inch-by-15-inch jelly roll pan with foil. Coat foil with cooking spray. Arrange seasoned cauliflower in one layer on pan. Bake for 10 minutes. Stir, then bake 10 minutes longer.
- Meanwhile, in small saucepan, heat remaining oil over medium-high heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring until fragrant, 1 minute. Add tomato sauce, tomato paste, sugar, vinegar, cloves, cayenne and salt and mix to combine. Cook until sauce bubbles vigorously around edges of pot.
- Spoon tomato sauce over cauliflower on pan and mix with spatula until florets are well coated, 1 minute. Roast cauliflower 10 minutes. Stir, and bake until florets are tender, about 5 minutes. Serve hot or warm.
Serving size: 1/6 of recipe. Amount per serving: 100 calories, 5g total fat (0.5g saturated fat), 13g carbohydrates, 3g protein, 4g total fiber, 310mg sodium.
Source: American Institute for Cancer Research